Saturday, June 5, 2010

Wednesday

Sorry I can't upload pictures--internet problems--but I'm going to have them up the day I get back to the states.

Wednesday was a planting day. We spent all day planting Brussels sprouts, chervil, dill, different flowers, cabbages, watercress, sunflowers, onions and more. Mel took the day off because she’s been feeling ill, so we got her some medicine and hopefully she’ll feel better today.

Last night Robyn and Darren took us out for a drink at the Black Bird pub then we got food and took it out to the beaches of Ballymanoa (that’s a takeaway for all you Euros), a five-minute drive from Ballymaloe. Flicker, their dog, played with the rest of the dogs on the beach…it’s no Compo. After dinner, we went to their friends’ new house, a beautiful house looking out over a field/bog and just a walk from Ballycotton’s town. We went back to Robyn/Darren’s house for tea and came home to relax.

In only about 10 days in Ireland I’ve really come to love this place. Last night was a great example of why. When at Robyn’s friends house, we were with about 8 other strangers, yet they were welcoming, funny and interested in us. The Irish people, above all, seem to be truly friendly people. Maybe it’s because were in the country, I don’t know. I do know that the Irish have such great pride and tradition for their homeland and its something that’s really contagious. So much is rooted in tradition, yet nothing feels old and outdated. Anyways, I’m entering the second half of my trip…can’t believe it’s gone so fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment