Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Last Day

So finally I get around to a new post.

I'm home across the "pond" now, watching the world cup, trying to recover from illness and preparing for an approaching heavy work schedule.

The last day, Sunday, Eoin and Carol (my neighbor's relatives) were nice enough to take Emily and I to Carol's family farm in Youghal and then out for some lunch in nearby Cobh with their three kids. We then took a tour of the Titanic/Lusitania museum in Cobh (pronounced Cove).
Fun Irish Cocktail Party Fact: the Lusitania (the sunken ship that led to USA's joining in WWI) and the Titanic (I hope you know what this ship was) both left from Cobh Harbor before meeting their demises.
The same harbor was where many Irish boarded "coffin ships" on their way to Ellis Island, NY to get to America during the potato famine.

It's a really great seaside town and if Eoin and Carol are still reading I want to thank them for a fabulous last day in Ireland!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your time on Sunday, we had a great time too. Keep the blogging up. Make sure you pass our number on to Emily if she needs a couple of guides around Dublin.
    Just a couple of spelling issues I picked up on:
    1.Harbour
    2.Tonne
    Iwould have thought three weeks would have been enough time to correct these :)
    Enjoy the rest of your summer. It's after getting even hotter here 25C.
    Eoin & Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're right I'll have to change those errors!

    And I'll pass on the info to Emily. Enjoy that good weather.

    ReplyDelete